Monday, November 2, 2009

Dan's First "Everything" Post


My name is Dan Baldwin and I think about the sales and marketing of telecom, data and related IT solutions and applications to business customers almost all the time.

Sometimes it's a problem, especially when I think about it in the evenings, on the weekends or while I'm on vacation (when I'm supposed to be fulfilling the role of good husband and father.)

For almost 15 years I've been dumping out all my thoughts on my business website at www.TelecomAssociation.com (or one of the previous versions). I've likely written a thousand articles or more since 1995 but very little of it is properly archived as all our old web sites were written in Microsoft Frontpage which does not really lend itself to easy archiving.

For the past year I've been looking at all the new fangled  "content management solution" ("CMS") websites like Joomla and WordPress trying to figure out where to park all my thoughts moving forward. Well I'm sure there are people who can just look at Joomla or WordPress and say, "Oh, I get it!" - but not me. I tried.

One thing I do get is Blogger blogs. I've been publishing different personal blogs on Blogger for a year or so and I've almost never had to think about "How to Publish" I just "write and publish". So now that's what I'm doing with my business blogs. I figure I can keep wasting time thinking about the best way to publish or just publish. I've chosen the latter.

Who do I publish for? The 3,800 members and vendors of Telecom Association. They're mostly all interested in the same things I'm interested in. I've put together a nice little business sharing with TA members all my thoughts on sales and marketing of telecom and related services and helping TA's members share their thoughts with each other.

The biggest problem all TA's articles have is getting sorted out properly so TA members can find content they're looking for weeks, months or years after the original article was published. The problem with most blogs and articles on the Internet is everything is published in chronological order. If you don't see and save content you like the the second it's published it's quickly swallowed up by the Internet - never to be found again - unless it's properly indexed such that a Google search will recover it.

But why so much searching? Can't we organize content better from the start so one's audience can find what they're looking for without so much lost time searching? My aim with this blog and all the related TA blogs I'm publishing is to properly sort everything that needs to be sorted without going deep into debt hiring a staff of web programmers.

For those of you who want to check just one blog for everything, this is your blog. My goal is to publish everything here AND in the proper sub blog. Let me know how I'm doing by posting a comment from time to time.

If you're in telecom and you want to Link up in LinkedIn, please sent me an invitation.

How can I help you? Contact me at Dan@TelecomAssociation.com or call 951-251-5155.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you Dan! It took me over a year of messing around with Wordpress before I got it. I looked at Joomla's manual and said forget it.
    CLEAR 4G

    ReplyDelete